The most difficult car in the world to build.
After years of development and with difficulties solved, the Model X is finally launched. The all-wheel-drive Model X comes in two types, the performance-oriented P90D and standard 90D. Both types are powered by dual electric motor. The front motor offers up 259bhp, and the rear adds an extra 503bhp, producing a combined output of 762bhp and 713b ft of torque.
The P90D capable of a claimed 3.2-second 0-60 time in “Ludicrous Mode” with 250 miles of range and 155mph top speed. On the other hand, the standard 90D achieved 0 – 60mph in 4.8 seconds. The floor-mounted battery pack is said to contribute for a low centre of gravity and ideal weight distribution for exhilarating performance and superior handling. Tesla claimed that the Model X is “the first electric vehicle” to offer a towing capacity of 2276kg and the SUV with lowest drag coefficient in history (0.24).
The futuristic falcon wing doors allow easy access to second and third row seats. The built-in ultrasonic sensors keep the falcon wing doors from dinging nearby cars. The panoramic windshield providing unlimited visibility for the driver and all passengers. Amazingly, it comes with a medical grade HEPA filter strips outside air of pollen, bacteria, viruses and pollution.
Elon Musk welcoming competition in the EV market. “I’m glad to see these announcements of these other companies……….I hope they move even faster than they announce.” Musk said during an interview with the Danish newspaper Børsen.
According to Elon Musk, the reason that they are doing Tesla is to try to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport and to have more electric cars on the road. “We actually open-sourced all of our patents. Any e-car company can use our technology. It’s no problem. They don’t even have to pay a fee to us.” Musk emphasized.
On Sept. 29, Musk announced on Twitter about the pricing:
With this in mind, Model X pricing is just $5,000 more than a comparable Model S. Currently, the three versions of Model S are priced at USD75,000.00 (70D), USD85,000.00 (85D) and the performance Model S (P85D) at USD105,000.00. In other words, although no official announcement made on the final pricing, the Model X could be priced at USD90,000.00 for 90D version while for the performance version P90D could be priced at USD110,000.00. Interested buyer can make online booking through Tesla official site with USD5,000.00 reservation payment.
Elon Musk also said Tesla will introduce even lower-cost versions. While the Model X is clearly still an expensive car, Tesla plans to launch its mass-market car – the Model 3 in 2017 which could tag at USD35,000.
Standard Specification of the Tesla Model X:
- Falcon Wing rear doors with built in sensors, which automatically adjust to the optimal opening arc in confined spaces or small garages.
- Automatically deploying rear spoiler
- Maps and navigation with real time traffic updates
- Daytime running lights
- Power-folding and heated side mirrors
- Front trunk with room for luggage, strollers or two golf bags
- Full size rear cargo area
- Free long distance travel on Tesla’s expanding Supercharger network
- 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
- Automatic keyless entry, with automatically opening front doors
- GPS enabled Homelink
- Parking sensors, blind spot warning and side collision avoidance
- Automatic emergency braking to assist in avoiding collisions, even at highway speeds
- Seating for up to seven adults
- Four LATCH child seat attachments, two in each passenger row